Combined Insurance Careers
Manager, Underwriting - Worksite Group Voluntary Benefits
- Solicit new and renewal submissions from sales leaders and brokers; achieve profitable growth through effective use of underwriting and business skills
- Evaluate and select new risks based on established company/departmental guidelines and within delegated authority
- Identify risk exposures and appropriate controls
- Maintain performance standards and meet satisfactory quote turnaround time
- Partner with sales leaders and brokers to generate new business revenues by developing prospects, visiting brokers, and participating in presentations
- Collaborate with sales leaders and other internal departments to foster a constructive working relationship
- Conduct loss frequency analysis; identify, analyze and provide plan for corrective action as necessary
- Guide and mentor junior staff.
- Effectively negotiate and secure policy terms that align with the company directives, especially utilizing new product and service offerings to bring value to the client.
- Coordinate strategy and work collaboratively with other aligned business functions including sales, operations, actuarial, and claims.
- Determine terms and conditions and complex rating plans
- Handle more complex files and portfolios within underwriting authority
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven analytical ability to evaluate and judge underwriting risks.
- Ability to influence and collaborate at all levels
- Ability to work within a dynamic and challenging environment – handle multiple priorities - often under tight deadlines.
- Ability to adapt effectively with varying market conditions, responsibilities and people in a changing environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment making quick decisions while adhering to a sound underwriting discipline
- Ability to understand loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking; ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
- Proven ability to provide direction, guidance, and coaching to promote team excellence and achieve business goals
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10+ years of Group Voluntary Benefits underwriting experience
- Product focus includes Group & Individual Short Term Disability with a heavy focus on Group, Group & Individual Accident, Group Critical Illness and Group Universal Life or other permanent life product
- Experience working with distribution sources to include Worksite/Enrollment Firms as well as Benefit Brokers; experience Rating a big positive
- Experience mentoring and/or managing underwriting staff
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- A company-match 401(k) plan
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee referral bonuses
Job Posting - May 16, 2018, 10:31:16 AM